Quantcast Eastern Orthodox Christian Forum - why do you call a priest, a father?
Eastern Orthodox Christian Forum
Eastern Orthodox Christian Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Eastern Orthodox Forum
 Inquirer's Corner
 why do you call a priest, a father?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Angelica
Starting Member

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2010 :  15:07:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm an Evangelical, inquiring into Orthodox faith. A Baptist gentelman asked me this recently during a conversation when i told him about deciding to attend Orthodox church. His statement was that in Scrupture, it states"call no man Father". do you have an explanation on why you call priest "father"?

macacic
Administrator

USA
2415 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2010 :  17:19:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The same quotation goes on to say "call no man teacher" yet Protestants do not object to referring to anyone as a teacher.

The Orthodox use it as a term of respect and to acknowledge the Apostolic lineage that every Orthodox priest represents.

For a more complete explanation, I'd recommend the following article: http://www.antiochian.org/node/19193
Go to Top of Page

Aristokles

USA
1097 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2010 :  04:53:19  Show Profile  Send Aristokles a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Technically, we do not call our priests "Fathers". We call them "papas" (or babas, or abbas) which is an endearment meaning "Daddy" or "Little Father". The word in Greek is entirely different from "father"
Protestants, bereft of the complete truth and tradition (in this case Greek language), come up with this supposed issue all the time. It is only an issue for them.

Edited by - Aristokles on 12/04/2010 04:55:56
Go to Top of Page

asorthodox

USA
381 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2010 :  11:09:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Christ's restriction on calling someone Father, which we do in the OCA, is based on a particular circumstance. It has been written about noting that He and the Apostles use the term and we can find references to it throughout the Bible. Simply Google the Orthodox view on the subject and you will find reference material.

Fr. William
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Jump To:
Eastern Orthodox Christian Forum © Eastern Orthodox Christian Forum Go To Top Of Page
Thispagewasgeneratedin0.14seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07