Icons of the Holy Theotokos
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

George

USA
446 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2007 :  19:00:50  Show Profile  Visit George's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I am not sure whether this section of the forum is the right one for these links; yet, since iconography is such a natural part of the Orthodox theology and doctrine, I thought I could post these links here. Some of these icons are from my home city (Kiev, Ukraine), and some are from my wife's place of birth (Volyn', the northwestern corner of Ukraine.

The "Adoration" series:

http://www.cirota.ru/forum/view.php?subj=53563

The "Odigitria" ("One Leading") series:

http://www.cirota.ru/forum/view.php?subj=53525&order=&pg=0

(Courtesy of the St. Andrew the First-Called Russian Orthodox Internet forum, http://www.sirota.ru/)

myrrhbearer

100 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2007 :  19:32:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
those icons are absolutely beautiful! thank you for sharing! kyiv is also the most beautiful place i have ever been! have you ever been to the kitaevo hermitage? i've never been to volyn'...
Go to Top of Page

George

USA
446 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2007 :  09:50:20  Show Profile  Visit George's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thank you, Myrrhbearer! I am glad you write Kyiv, that's the correct spelling based on the Ukrainian pronounciation... I just gave up, conceded to "Kiev," because Westerners still use the Russian-based spelling of my home city, no matter what Ukrainians say... :( :( :(

No, I don't think I've been to Kitaevo. Where is it?
Go to Top of Page

Emanuel

USA
338 Posts

Posted - 05/13/2007 :  20:34:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George

Thank you, Myrrhbearer! I am glad you write Kyiv, that's the correct spelling based on the Ukrainian pronounciation... I just gave up, conceded to "Kiev," because Westerners still use the Russian-based spelling of my home city, no matter what Ukrainians say... :( :( :(

No, I don't think I've been to Kitaevo. Where is it?

I've always loved Pavel Chesnokov's liturgical music. I believe he was from Kiev or at least spent some time there, correct? They say Orthodox music is supposed to be a purely dispassionate music...but I don't know of ANY music that is purely dispassionate (and I can prove that Byzantine chant certainly isn't dispassionate!). And Chesnokov's works cerainly are not dispassionate...if any music was inspired by God Himself, it is Orthodox Music...
Go to Top of Page

George

USA
446 Posts

Posted - 05/15/2007 :  11:50:58  Show Profile  Visit George's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Emanuel, no, as far as I know, Chesnokov was Russian and lived almost all his life in Moscow... He was a professor of Moscow conservatoire. Of course, he could have visited Ukraine, but I really don't know whether he had any Ukrainian roots or connections. Thank you for reminding about his music though. I don't think I know it well; at the moment, I recall just one liturgical piece that is definitely Chesnokov's, called "Da ispravitsya molitva moja" ("Let my prayer be done"), it's really beautiful, amazingly beautiful. --G.
Go to Top of Page

myrrhbearer

100 Posts

Posted - 05/16/2007 :  16:31:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
www.kitaevo.kiev.ua

here you will find directions to the monastery. it's a real treasure-the photos on the website do not do it justice. it's a bit rundown and quite unassuming, but that adds to its appeal, in my opinion.
the air is filled with grace and the nature is wonderful. there are caves there. when st.seraphim of sarov was still prokhor, he spent some time here receiving spiritual counsel from the elder dosephey. (sp?) who was actually a woman whose gender was a mystery until her repose.

always an adventurer in kyiv, i was led to this little-known monastery by(i am convinced) the Holy Spirit, and here some wonderful monks helped me on the path to salvation and to the Church.
Go to Top of Page

George

USA
446 Posts

Posted - 05/16/2007 :  16:57:04  Show Profile  Visit George's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thank you so much, Myrrhbearer. Next time when we go to Kyiv, my wife and daughter and I will definitely visit Kitaevo.

Amazing, it's so close to where we used to live in 1985-1990. Our apartment was on Demiivs'ka St., very close to the metro station "Lybidska," which is mentioned in the directions on that Web site. Our daughter was born in 1984, she was a tiny little child back then, and I remember going for walks with her (in a cradle) to Holosiivs'ky Park, really minutes away from Kitaevo. But I knew exactly nothing about that monastery back then.

Thank you again!

Best wishes,

George
Go to Top of Page

myrrhbearer

100 Posts

Posted - 05/21/2007 :  16:06:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
you're most welcome, george. my, hearing all those places you mentioned brings to me a real sense of nostalgia...how well i know them all! i used to live on metrologicheska just off of zabolotnova, in the area known as "feofania". in the forest there you will find st panteleimon's cathedral and women's skeet. the nature there is outstanding too! in this forest one of the world's first computers was built. just down zabolotnova was "pirogova" the wonderful outdoor museum of ukrainian architecture...how often i took the marshrutka to lybidska...brings back good memories...wish i was there again...
Go to Top of Page

George

USA
446 Posts

Posted - 05/21/2007 :  18:52:23  Show Profile  Visit George's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Myrrhbearer, I sent you a PM. --G.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Jump To:
Eastern Orthodox Christian Forum © Eastern Orthodox Christian Forum Go To Top Of Page
Thispagewasgeneratedin0.14seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07